Monday, October 3, 2011

Lesson Thirteen: Where Are You From? (Part Three)


Wow it seems we already onto part three of the Where Are You From? series of lessons.
It just seems to get more and more exciting the more we dwelve into the Chinese language... Well at least for me it does...

Well moving on let us get back into our lesson if you are as excited as I am you can't wait to finish this one out and move onto the next.

Jenny: 我從英國的倫敦來,你呢? Wo3 Cong2 Ying1 Guo2 De5 Lun2 Dun1 Lai2, Ni3 Ne5?
Bob: 我從美國的芝加哥來。Wo3 Mei3 Guo2 De5 Zhi1 Jia1 Ge1 Lai2.


Well last time we had translated up to 我從英國的倫敦, I know we usually just translate in the order that the sentence is written in, however this time I want to skip a few characters and move on to translating 芝加哥 instead. Do not worry though the next lesson we will go back over what we skipped this lesson.


So let us start with 芝 ( Zhi1 ) 加 ( Jia1 ) 哥 ( Ge1) ( all three of these characters together means Chicago ).


Now I now this lesson was probably not so exciting since we did learn three characters but they are just one word together. I want you all to know I trying to avoid teaching the individual meanings of the characters right now and instead just focusing on the basic vocabulary, speaking, tones, and writing. (Well that is if you are studying the writing portion of this).
The reason I am doing this is that most of the individual meanings of the characters while somewhat important are just unusable in that form to the novice Chinese learner and will just serve to confuse you more.
So please trust me on this and stick with the basic grammar and vocabulary for now.


See you all next time on Zhongwen Study 中文學習。

No comments:

Post a Comment